Departure city: Arusha, Tanzania
Accommodation: Budget | National Parks: Mt Kilimanjaro
* based on 8 participants
This 7-day safari offers the opportunity to climb Mount Kilimanjaro through the Marangu route. Rising approximately 4,977 meters from its base to 5,895 meters above sea level, Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa.
Day One: Arrival
On your arrival, a representative with your name printed on an A4 paper will welcome you at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) and transferred to Keys Hotel in Moshi followed by a briefing from your mountain guide and rest on full board accommodation plan.
Day Two: 3 to 5-hour walking to Mandara Hut
You leave Moshi to Kilimanjaro Gate – Mandara Hut. Take a short drive from Moshi or Arusha town to the Kilimanjaro Park Gate (1,830 meters) that lies at the edge of Marangu, which is an attractive village with many small coffee and banana plantations. After completing the entrance formalities, you climb up through an attractive and unspoiled forest to reach the clearing containing Mandara Hut (2,700 meters).
The volcanic remains of Maundi Crater are nearby and make a good afternoon excursion. An alternative is to rest and enjoy the beautiful forest. There is a rich birdlife at the huts and monkeys are often seen as well. Meals at Mandara Hut
Day Three: 4 to 6-hour walking from Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut
You leave Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut. The first part of the walk is a steep ascent through a forest but the path soon opens out into grassy moorland and, in clear weather, there are good views of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks.
You climb steadily through the moorland zone, containing giant heather and occasional stands of groundsel, to eventually reach Horombo Hut (3,720 meters). Sunrises and sunsets here are often very stunning, the site is close to the glaciated dome of Kibo, and there is a real sense of being above the clouds. Return to Horombo Hut for the night.
Day Four: 4 to 5-hour walking from Horombo Hut to Kibo Hut
You leave Horombo Hut to Kibo Hut. Through Desert Saddle, you climb very gradually towards the lunar desert of the Saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo. The terrain changes to screed and there is a palpable sense of high altitude wilderness. Usually, you will reach Kibo Hut (4,700 meters) at the bottom of the crater wall by midday and the afternoon is free (to contemplate the summit ascent!). The remainder of the day is spent resting and eating in preparation for the final climb before a very early night!
Day Five: 11 to 15-hour walking from Kibo Hut to Gillman’s Point
You leave Kibo Hut to Summit and down to Horombo Hut. You will start your ascent by torchlight at about 01:00 so that you can be up at Gillman’s Point by sunrise. The initial climb is steep over a loose volcanic screen but there is some well-graded zigzag and a slow but steady pace will have you up to Gillman’s (5,685 meters) in about five or six hours. You will rest there and spend some time taking in the sunrise.
Those who are still feeling strong can make the three-hour round trip from here along the crater rim to Uhuru Peak (5,896 meters), passing close to the spectacular glaciers that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent is surprisingly fast and you return to Horombo Hut for the night.
Day Six: 5 to 6-hour walking
It’s time to have a safari to Kilimanjaro Retrace through a forest. You retrace your steps with a pleasant moorland walk to Mandara and then a lovely forest walk to the national park gates and Moshi or Arusha town. The greenness and lushness of the forest are quite a stunning contrast to the summit day and it really makes you realize how varied the scenery on Kilimanjaro really is.
Day Seven: Departure
This day will be your departure day.
Keys Hotel Moshi is located in Moshi and features an outdoor swimming pool and a garden. The property is close to several noted attractions, around an 8-minute walk from Sports Stadium and around 0.8 miles from Kilimanjaro Hospital (Private). Free WiFi is provided.
Mandara hut is situated on the Marangu Route at an elevation of 2,700m. It is a village of A-framed huts in a forest clearing on the Marangu Route. Each hut features 6-8 sleeping bunks with solar generated lighting, with a camp capacity of up to 60 climbers. Water is piped into the camp from springs above and there are flush toilets behind the main hut.
Horombo Hut is a collection of A-frame huts situated on the Marangu Route at 4600m in altitude. It is the second and third nights accommodation for the Marangu route.
The huts have communal dining halls and basic washrooms, ranging from flushing toilets and running water at the lower huts to long drop toilets and buckets of water at Kibo Hut.
Price of the entire trip: 3150 $ p.p. with 8 people on board.
Gather your friends or join with other travellers on this trip to bring the price down.
Terms & Conditions
Destination – Mount Kilimanjaro
• Safari Highlight – Daily trekking and hiking, Sightseeing, Birding, Wildlife viewing
• Accommodation – It is valid and will greatly depend on your budget. We can and will help you choose from the list when planning your trip. At whatever level, we provide the very best for our guests. We reserve the right to substitute equivalent or superior hotels. If a hotel of an equivalent standard is not available, we may substitute the next best quality hotel or suggest a superior at an extra charge. There is free wi-fi in hotels
• Transportation – 4×4 Safari Landcruiser / Minivan (up to eight passengers) with pop-up tops and seven window seats for game viewing. Groups of twelve or more people who would like to travel in one vehicle are offered 25-28 seat coasters that have about 16 window seats. Our Safari vehicles are Safarisintained to provide a maximum level of comfort and safety.
• Our Drivers /Guides – We recognize this as a fact! The success of your safari will largely depend on your driver/guide. It is because of this that we have a great team of carefully selected drivers /guides, well trained.
• Package includes – Ground transportation, full board accommodation and en route meals as indicated in the itinerary, one gorilla permit per person to be secured and paid for well in advance, park fees and relevant government taxes, services of an expert guide, airport transfer.
• Package excludes – International flights charges, Visa (USD $50, available upon arrival), a valid passport of at least 6 months will be required, Complex rescue, helicopter rescue, medical evacuation or hospitalization in case of any accidents is not covered in our pricing, Any optional activities, Extra meals and drinks, Items of personal nature, Tips.